A Brief Introduction to this Page's Purpose

Not Another Dime! is dedicated to documenting the assorted, and sometimes wild, details of Mr. Ken Whitman's business dealings within the Role Playing Game (RPG) industry. This place is NOT intended to be a medium of discussion about Mr. Whitman, pro or con, but instead be a "jumping off" point to enable the reader to make their own informed decision about Mr. Whitman's history and business character. (Editor's Note: After years of this documentation, we simply cannot be anything BUT "con" when it comes to Mr. Whitman)

Whenever possible, links to the original source material will be provided, but in many cases that information may have been deleted or secured behind restricted-access (like a private Facebook page) accounts.

Anything posted here is the opinion of the retrospective author and any content shown is to be considered "fair use" and posted for educational purposes only.

Note to authors: Please begin each post with the original date of the event being documented in the format of YYYY.MM.DD (i.e. If the event being recorded happened on March 15th, 2015 and today's date was August 8th, 2018 the beginning of the post's title would be 2015.03.15 and not 2018.08.08) so readers can use the Chronology page to find specific information. Please use appropriate tags when possible for the same reason.

Note to contributors: If you have some valid data to send, screenshots, links to other Ken Whitman stories, etc., please feel free to send a gmail to notanotherdimeblog. We'll look into it and post if appropriate.

Monday, August 24, 2015

2015.02.03 Ken Whitman Promises An Artists Co-Operation Without Permission?

2015.02.03 Ken Whitman Promises An Artists Co-Operation Without Permission?
So even though we now Ken Whitman never ordered the pencils from his Pencil Dice Kickstarter, even though he claimed to have "pencils in production" several times, for some reason he still lets you order this non-existent product from his online web-store.

Figuring he has already pocketed the $46,784 form the two Pencil Dice Kickstarters* I can only describe his willingness to sell $750 "Custom" Pencil Dice packages chutzpah. I hope the guys you are allegedly working with to sell your Kickstarter are aware that you are still collecting money (or trying to) on that project. I really hope they aren't surprised when your $10,000 in reported costs get some extra digits tack on.....

Ken Whitman "persuades" Larry Elmore to lend his name...or how about those "special" pencil dice and bags with Larry Elmore's signature on them you promised? You may have wanted to check with the man 1st.....

From Pencil Dice Update #9: "Yesterday I talked with fantasy artist Larry Elmore, and he said, "Let's make one I can give away to my fans."

And I said "YES!  But I want to put them up as a stretch goal also!!!".   

"Great idea!" Larry replied. And the Elmore Pencil Dice was born."

Fast-forward about a month during Larry Elmore's Snarfquest Kickstarter (March 12, 2015 Kickstarter Comment emphasis mine):
"I want to make a couple of things clear, I think some people are or were worried and/or confused about me involved on several kickstarters. Check my kickstarter profile and you will see that I have only been involved in two kickstarters, and they were mine. They were conceived, produced and with the help from all my backers, published by me. Sometimes my name gets used even without my permission, or people use my art, second rights, which they should pay me for...all of this is very difficult for me to keep up with. I currently am NOT working with Ken Whitman on any of my projects and have not worked with him for over a year. Sometimes he takes advantage of our friendship or persuades me to use my name as part of his product lines that I am not otherwise involved in. Also I have never authorized the use of my mailing lists for any purpose whatsoever! This is going to stop, I never want to be a "Kickstarter whore". From the very start I have only wanted to do three Kickstarters, two big artbooks (color and black & white) and this Snarfquest new adverture book. I may have future Kickstarters, but I do not see anything in the near future. Maybe I will do another in a few of years. I do want to work on new art and who knows where it may take me."

So maybe.....maybe Ken Whitman has Larry Elmore's permission to use his name, but Larry clearly denotes that even in these cases Ken Whitman "takes advantage" and "persuades"....definitely not the relationship as Ken Whitman states it.

Gee, Ken Whitman, if this is how you treat your friends, how do your treat your backers? Don't worry, anyone who bothers to read these posts already knows.....My real question is, does Chessex have a clue on how you are going to treat them?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

The comments on this blog are heavily moderated as this location is simply a one-stop-shop for finding pertinent information otherwise scattered across the internet. If you need to comment on a particular post, please try to do it where the information originated.