A Brief Introduction to this Page's Purpose
Not Another Dime! is dedicated to documenting the assorted, and sometimes wild, details of Mr. Ken Whitman's business dealings within the Role Playing Game (RPG) industry. This place is NOT intended to be a medium of discussion about Mr. Whitman, pro or con, but instead be a "jumping off" point to enable the reader to make their own informed decision about Mr. Whitman's history and business character.
Whenever possible, links to the original source material will be provided, but in many cases that information may have been deleted or secured behind restricted-access (like a private Facebook page) accounts.
Anything posted here is the opinion of the retrospective author and any content shown is to be considered "fair use" and posted for educational purposes only.
Note to authors: Please begin each post with the original date of creation in the format of YYYY.MM.DD (i.e. 2015.08.08) so readers can use the Chronology page to find specific information. Please use appropriate tags when possible for the same reason.
Note to contributors: If you have some valid data to send, screenshots, links to other Ken Whitman stories, etc., please feel free to send a gmail to notanotherdimeblog. We'll look into it and post if appropriate.
Sunday, April 17, 2016
2016.04.17 A Transcript of Ken "Whit" Whitman's Apology Video, with Commentary
Now remember, this is the organization on Facebook that is "definitely not his" and is completely the wrong place to post any inquiry regarding his many failed Kickstarters, because it is NOT the place to do so as there is NO CONNECTION between Atlanta Actor's Co-Op and Ken "Whit" Whitman's Kickstarter scams.....
...well, we guess not until our hero posts a video connecting the dots. As usual, the video didn't last 24 hours before getting changed/deleted, as is often the course with Ken "Whit" Whitman on other social media platforms. As of the time of this post the video is still up, just not listed. The unlisted video, link is here, has only been viewed 975 times. On the surface this video is for the 1622 backers of KoDT:LAS and Spinward Traveller, but we suspect this video is actually directed at the entities currently seeking legal recourse for Ken "Whit" Whitman's fraudulent Kickstarters.
For the record, Ken "Whit" Whitman doesn't think he has committed fraud because he didn't "intend" to pocket the money he raised via Kickstarter. We don't have any lawyers on staff, but this doesn't even pass the common-sense sniff test.
This morning way too much time was spent watching, and re-watching the "apology" video for the purposes of providing a transcription. Obviously we have some commentary, but we'll simply denote key phrases like this (1) and use footnotes below. The transcript is useful, but you do miss a lot by watching Ken "Whit" Whitman's body language. Just seeing him shake his head "no" when he states he is still working on these projects, and with some of the "apology".*
"Hey everybody, this is Ken Whitman...uh...Jolly and Marc have asked me to take five minutes out of my time to make a little log to talk to you guys, and uh I just want to let you know that I am still working on Knights of the Dinner Table and I am still working on Traveller. Now the problems that I had, which some people could say I had many different problems, but I bit off way more than I can chew (1). Uh, you know I tried to make, you know everything at one-tenth of what a professional would, would uh charge to make these and so when we ran out of money (2), I had to get a day job...and now when I'm not working on my day job I'm trying to finish up Traveller and Knights of the Dinner Table. I'm about 90% done (3), and this will get done...and uh I could give you daily reports and weekly reports, but at this particular time I, I don't think you'll be satisfied with what you, what what I put down there for the week or the whatever. All I can tell you is I'm 90% done, and I'm still working on this stuff, and when it gets out, and it will get out, um, any of the profits that might come after I fulfill all the Kickstarters (4,5) will go to pay off debt that I've accumulated. Once again I apologize, uh you know this is turned out to be a Herculean task, and and uh I haven't given up yet so um my plan is to provide uh Marc with materials um you know hopefully during the summer time, and uh, you know, he's working with other people, including Kenzer and Jolly to, to help me get this out (6). So that's what I can tell you right now, and uh once again I apologize for taking so long and I apologize for, you know, not having done this correctly, but um, as I said it's it's not over until I give up and I'm not giving up so um expect to hear from me again. Thank you."
1) This isn't a case of just "biting off more than one can chew" because Ken "Whit" Whitman had multiple Kickstarter projects underway at the same time. If you look at the pattern to these projects you'll see the up-tick in frequency to the point where two projects even overlap with fundraising dates. This post has these projects mapped out. Don't forget he was planning on another KoDT Kickstarter well before wrapping this first one up.
2) No. It would not take $690,000 to make KoDT:LAS but it might have taken $490,000 to make Spinward Traveller depending on the amount of special effects. Ken "Whit" Whitman bought equipment that should have been rented, but he did claim to have actually rented said equipment. He also claimed to have spent "$15K" on making KoDT "audiobooks" that he never had permission to do. Ken "Whit" Whitman has also admitted to co-mingling funds from different projects. Add to this financial mess the fact that Ken "Whit" Whitman has received an untold amount for off-books sales of related items (some of which were clearly double-sold), well he doesn't have any room to talk about funding figures. Actually, if Ken "Whit" Whitman is going to claim that his projects ran out of money, then his backers, and Kickstarter as well as some Attorneys should be able to look at his books.
3) In July of 2015 Ken "Whit" Whitman claimed he was "two weeks away" from KoDT:LAS completion. He has claimed to be "two weeks away" and/or "90% done" on more than one occasion, and even on more than one project.
4) Part of the problem is that it is impossible for Ken "Whit" Whitman to fulfill all of the Kickstarters as, at least with KoDT:LAS, because it is too late to provide Production Diaries, throw the promised "Premiere Party", and he does not have rights to the promised artwork for the DVD packaging.
5) Ken "Whit" Whitman's rights to at least the KoDT:LAS intellectual property extend only to what he was doing with the Kickstarter. The only way he could profit further would be to sell IP and product that isn't his to sell, not that this has stopped him before.
6) The footage has already been shot and volunteers have offered to do the work of properly editing the footage for KoDT:LAS.....many months ago. Just last week the offer had been renewed on Facebook. Obviously there is a big difference between having completed footage and DVDs being made, but.....if Ken "Whit" Whitman was being serious about getting the project completed, why wouldn't he allow a professional help?
*Interesting there is no mention of the other four outstanding Kickstarter projects.......